The fermented glutinous rice or locally known as ‘tapai’ is the favourite of the oldies. I learned that many kids today don’t like the flavor and smell of the delicacy. Actually it is a delicious cake. It tastes sweet and also have a somewhat alcohol smell. It is also really succulent once it is performed. Possibly it really is the alcohol scent that makes these kids shun away.
You will find various superstitious belief when making this cake. I had been told by my late mum our body and ideas should be clean before making this fermented glutinous rice. Some of things that you need to follow is that you must say great things so that this cake will turn out good.
1/2 kilo glutinous rice
1/2 biscuit yeast
20 pieces banana leaves (20 cm x 10 cm) or rubber tree leaves
1. Cook the glutinous rice in a rice cooker much like cooking plain rice.
2. When the rice is cooked, cool it completely in a container.
3. Beat the yeast till very great. Sift it on the very top of the cooked rice. Distribute best rice cooker on top of the rice.
4. Turn the rice on another side and sift the balance yeast together with the cooked rice.
5. Put the rice in an air tight container after which wrap it using a towel. Put in a dark area and let it ferment for 2 days. After 2 days the rice is prepared to be wrapped in banana leaves. Keep in the fridge.
The fermented glutinous rice is better eaten when it is cold. Some people like to eat it together with ice- cream. In the event that you do not have banana leaves you may also place it in a plastic container. I have likewise seen folks use rubber tree leaves.
After 2 days you are able to note the rice is whiter and succulent. Plenty of the juice can be seen in the container. Sift out the juice before enveloping in banana leaves. The juice can be decanted in a bottle and have when needed.